A ‘heart-wrenching’ story about the late Kim Min-gi, who passed away after allowing the arrangement of ‘Evergreen’ without receiving any copyright fees, has been revealed!

2024-10-15 18:11:03

Kim Min-ki's 'Evergreen Tree' resonates with the heart-pounding violin solo of Ignace Jang, concertmaster of the Hawaii Symphony Orchestra, in the first act, 'Dream'.

However, Korea's copyright protection period is '70 years after the author's death', so 'Sangnoksu' could only be used if copyright fees were paid to Kim Min-ki, the lyricist and composer.

Director Lee said, “The first production support fee of $10,000 was used up on labor costs for the cinematographer, editor, and recording studio contract before filming even began, so after much thought, I wrote a rambling post beginning with ‘To Mr. Minki Kim.’”

“Mr. Kim Min-ki did not listen to the sudden request of an unknown independent film director who flew in from across the Pacific Ocean out of nowhere, and not only allowed me to use ‘Evergreen Tree’ without royalties, but also allowed me to arrange the violin.”

Director Lee Jin-young said, "If it weren't for teacher Kim Min-ki's permission, 'Evergreen' wouldn't have been used in the movie. When it was released, I wanted to show it to the movie theater in the most convenient place, but the teacher is no longer there.

→ MoaPic!